Live-in Caregiver Program

If you’ve decided to hire a live-in caregiver from abroad, you will need to familiarize yourself with Canada’s Live-in Caregiver Program.

In order to qualify for the program, you must provide documentation that you will be able to pay your live-in caregiver regularly and provide a safe work and living environment. You must apply to the HRSDC; if you are approved, you will receive a letter of confirmation, and your offer of employment will be sent to the appropriate visa office abroad.

Here is a full list of requirements that you will need to hire a live-in nanny from abroad:

  • You must have first made an effort to fill your position with a Canadian, a permanent resident or a foreign worker already in Canada
  • Have enough income to pay them
  • Give them an acceptable living space in your home
  • Apply for a labour market opinion (LMO) from Service Canada and include the employment contract. Service Canada will work with Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to give you an LMO.
  • Provide a written contract that includes benefits such as transportation, medical insurance, workplace safety insurance and other fees. Must also include job duties, hours of work, wages, housing arrangements, vacation and sick leave and rules of termination.

In order for your potential caregiver to be approved, she must possess the following:

  • A positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from an employer in Canada
  • A written contract with a future employer
  • Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
  • At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
  • Good knowledge of English or French
  • A work permit before entering Canada

For more information about Canada’s Live-in Caregiver program, visit the Government of Canada’s website: